Factory pre-finishing is a value added process for Architects, home Designers, Interior Designers, Custom Home Builders, Contractors and Home Owners where paintable or stainable materials are coated in a factory controlled environment prior to installation. The finish is factory finished to provide a more consistent and higher quality job.
When did prefinishing start?
Prefinishing (factory finishing) has been around for more than 40 years and was originally designed to apply stains, primers and paint on Natural wood products. This process sped up the labor intensive process of staining the siding on site. By factory finishing the siding it was the best way to cover all six sides (also known as back priming) sealing out moisture which would help the wood siding last longer. With the advancements in siding products, including Fiber Cement and Engineered wood, this process works very well and allow us to custom paint siding in any color you can imagine.
What types of material can be prefinished?
A wide variety of materials can be prefinished from Fiber Cement products including those from Allura, James Hardie and Nichiha. Engineered wood products such as LP SmartSide benefit very well from prefinishing as does many composite materials such as Boral siding and trim products. Of course natural wood products such as Cedar, Cypress and Pine benefit greatly from prefinishing and is the best way to apply a primer, stain or paint to the wood ensuring six sided coverage.
What are the benefits of prefinishing?
- Instant Curb Appeal – because the material is finished before installing, the project comes to life as the product is installed.
- No Weather Delays – All products are finished indoors in a controlled environment and allows us to paint when it is snowing or raining.
- Available Year Round – Extends the building season
- Instant UV and Moisture Protection
- No Lap Marks – Also known as brush marks or overspray when using an airless sprayer.
- No Streaking – Consistent coverage on every board
- No Shrink Lines – which can show when boards shrink during cold weather
- No Overspray or Drips – No runs, inconsistent finish or drips
- Five or Six Sided Protection – Natural wood is finished on all sides while Fiber Cement and Engineered wood are finished on five sides.
- Factory Controlled Quality
- Warranties Available
Prefinishing (factory finishing) is a great way to get a high quality finish applied to exterior siding products and interior wood products for all types of homes. Architects, Home Designers and Home Owners can select colors and textures to match the overall home design before construction ever starts. The home builder or contractor orders the materials prefinished to their customers requirements and the material is installed completely finished with only minor touch up needed. Both the home owner and the contractor now have a finished product that has been finished in a controlled environment for the best quality job and finished for that job specifically.